Thursday, June 4, 2009

Separation Anxiety… rather the guilt of it.

The Little One has been going through this a lot lately. From what I’ve read and told, it is normal for her to experience separation anxiety during this period of her young life. I understand that… in my mind.

In my mind, I know that she is happy and playing again not even 5 minutes after I walk out that door. However, my heart just breaks to hear her cry when I leave. This morning was especially hard. It’s a gorgeous day out. And, it is going to continue being nice through out the whole day. It’s the kind of day that you want to go outside and play with your kid. When I close my eyes, I can picture us outside. I’m blowing bubbles around the Little One while we are sitting on a blanket at the park. It is already hard to make sure that you are the responsible adult and go to work that day… but add your child’s tears, from you leaving, on top of that? It was almost too much!

I sat there in my car in the daycare parking lot for a few minutes after dropping her off. Those few minutes were filled with this internal debate… should Little One and I play hooky and go to the park? Or go to work? *sighs*

Alas, I decided to go to work. Overall, that was the right choice to make. There will be plenty of days to play with my daughter. Summer is only getting started.

Rest of the day, I’ll just daydream during those brief moments of no work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw sweetie. HUG. You know what? It's staying nice out later, so you can play after dinner!

At least you have good day dreaming fodder. :)