Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Twilight Mania Victim

I must admit that I got sucked into the mania… I had to know what all this hub-dub was about with the Twilight series.

I am a little bit behind the times for I did see the movie before reading the books. I thought the movie was okay so I ventured onto the books for 9 times out of 10… the books are always better! I was curious about why everyone loves these books and had to check it out for myself. After all, I wasn’t led wrong with reading the Harry Potter series.

First thing first… it is a fast read. I am not the quickest of readers. It takes me a little bit to comprehend what I am reading so I tend to read slowly. Of course, I am comparing myself to the Hubby who reads at insane speeds. (This skill comes in handy with the trivia game at Dave & Buster’s. I’ve a huge purple teddy bear for proof.) I was able to get through all 4 books in a matter of 3 weeks. This is practically unheard of for me since my “extra” time is very much limited thanks to the Little One.

Now, if you haven’t read the books… do not go past this point for I don’t want to ruin anything for you. I hate stumbling across things on the internet that does not forewarn their readers of possible spoil alerts.

I must say that I am a bit disappointed with the books. I think Stephanie Meyer has a great base for the storyline. However, I feel a bit cheated in her writing for she doesn’t go to that next step.

In my opinion, she gets to the major scene or scenario when 2/3 of the book is done and quickly finishes it off haphazardly to end the book. The best example (and most fresh in my mind) is the end of the 4th book. The big bad Volturi gathers up all their people and then some to go to Washington State to confront the good guys (the Cullens & co)… just to turn around and run with their tales between their legs? They have been in power for over hundreds and hundreds of years. You would think that they would have had the wisdom (or whatever) to scout out ahead of time to see if it was true that Nessie was an immortal child or not. Don’t get me wrong… I know that it was just an excuse for them to acquisition more powerful vamps for their coven… but they looked pretty damn foolish to not do a little more prep work. They really should have a pretty good back-up reason to confront the Cullens. The whole scenario was quite pitiful and lacking and wasn’t worth the built up the author gave to the Votluri throughout the series.

Anyways, I won’t go into more thoughts about the books. Overall, I did enjoy the books. I would not have invested my limited time to reading them if I did not. I just felt it could have been fleshed out a little better. There is so much potential there.

(On a side note, I do think they made a good decision with casting Dakota Fanning as Jane. )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh you caved! At least it doesn't look like a waste of time. Thanks for reading them for me :)