Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Commercials

Commercials are everywhere. I don’t mean just on TV or the internet. I listen to commercials now when I’m in the grocery section of my local Wal-Mart. If I don’t use commercials a break to hit the bathroom or grab a snack, I try to tune them out. I sometimes wish that my daughter could learn that skill so we are not asked for items such as Squinkies. But that is neither here or there…

I believe that the makers of commercials recognize that this often the case with today’s viewers so they use different techniques to try to grab your attention. Otherwise what is the point…?

You know this… I know this… No one is fooling anyone here. However, I must admit that although it grabs my attention when they use a popular song from the past … a small part of my musical heart breaks.

Examples that just immediately sticks out in my mind…

Twisted Sister’s “We’re not gonna take it” being used for YAZ.

A-ha’s “Take On Me” being used for Geico

Or the countless companies that use “What I like about you” by The Romantics



Is nothing sacred anymore?

No comments: