Thursday, January 13, 2011

What do I look for in a blog?

Lately, I find myself annoyed by some of the blogs that I have been reading.  Annoyance is not something that I want to feel consistently when I am done reading a blog. 

It did get me thinking of what I do like in some of my favorite blogs. I think I've narrowed it down to genuine personality. I like the blog writer to post something personal ... it could be anything ranging from what is happening in their life at this moment ... to what they think about a particular topic. It doesn't matter that I do not like the topic or that I do not agree with them. I like to think that they would post this information even if there is no one out there reading their blog. Basically, a snapshot into their lives.

What I do not like... blogs that blantantly panders to get readers. A good example of this is giving out "give-aways" without establishing a basic core of readers. Or, completely exaggerate about how awesome or how un-awesome something is in order to get people "fired up" about something.

I do think it is really easy to fall into the trap of having a blog that is not true to you as the writer. It is nice to hear feedback or thoughts from those reader(s) out there. I know that personally there has been times that I wished that more people read my blog. I would be dishonest if I said that didn't happen. It is at these times that I take a moment to think what I want out of this.... and it is simple ... all I want is an outlet.

So needless to say ... I think I might have to go through my google reader list and do some weeding out.

No comments: