Thursday, March 19, 2009

Exercise is no friend of mine.

Frankly, I hate to exercise. I can not understand why some people get a “high” from exercising. Perhaps, personally, I just haven’t achieved that particular level of exercising.

When growing up, due to my vision, I was not allowed to play any contact sports. This caused me to focus more on music by participating in concert band, chorus, and marching band during my formative years. I was fairly active by playing outdoors with my best friend and/or my siblings. In college, I became less active (and ate less healthy meals) in my day to day routines. Needless to say, I started packing on the weight.

Since college graduation, I’ve tried several diet fads … such as Atkins. I would have some short term success. However, the long term success always eluded me. Part of that reason: Although I would make extreme decisions of what I ate, I would not balance it out with exercise. Why? I don’t like to exercise.

After going on a familiarity trip to Israel, I decided it was about time to get serious about my weight problem. I didn’t like what I was limited in doing or how I looked in those pictures.



Following a friend’s recommendation, it was at that point that I joined Weight Watchers in the fall of 2005. My starting weight? 236.6 lbs. Explains the picture? Thought so. My goal? 140 lbs. Now for those of you who are not familiar with WW, it is a healthy but slow way to lose weight. It teaches you the basics that you need to know on how to lead a healthy life. When I found out I was pregnant in August 2007, I was less than 20 lbs away from my goal.



That two year weight loss journey was filled with lots of ups and downs. Yet through all of that, I still did not walk away with a love of exercise…. Hell, I didn’t even walk away with a comfortable feeling with exercise.

As you can imagine, I gained some of my weight back while I was pregnant. This past July, I decided to re-activate my membership with Weight Watchers. I started off pretty rocky but been pretty good with my weight loss since the New Years. I am now within 30 lbs of my original goal (give or take a pound or two). I know in my mind that I need to incorporate more activity into my life but how do I let get my heart to follow suit? Please tell me if you know the sure way of doing this.

Today, I went for a walk with two of my co-workers during lunch. It wasn’t a long walk but it was nice to get out there with the sunshine and mild temperatures. I can’t say that this will be a regular thing. I don’t dare put such a goal on it for it would surely fail (like New Year resolutions – which I also gave up making). In the meantime, I am going to have to take small steps incorporating exercise into my life. (No pun intended.) I don’t want this long journey to end once I achieve my goal.

No comments: